RE: salary for entry level position...

Subject: RE: salary for entry level position...
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axion -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:23:53 -0700

On Thu, 2005-29-09 at 13:25 -0400, Brian Gordon wrote:
> Interesting that some folks see negotiating
> compensation as a win-lose scenario. I would hope that
> BOTH employer and employeee are happy with the wages
> and benefits offered - neither feels taken advantage
> of.

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that.

Usually, negotiating is considered a matter of watching out for your own
interests. The company, you can be sure, is doing the same. Even a
company with generous salary levels is unlikely to insist that you take
another five thousand dollars a years unless it has to.

However, perhaps a better way of looking at negotiating is to see it as
setting the initial attitude towards you in the company. If you fold
easily, and take a salary well below your worth without trying for more,
don't be surprised if you're seen as easy to impose on -- that is,
someone who will work extra hours and take on extra duties without
complaint. By contrast, if you show an awareness of your own worth and
negotiate, you're demonstrating your articulateness, confidence and
knowledge -- that is, you're showing yourself someone who makes a
valuable employee. In short, how you neotiage can have a large affect on
how you're perceived at the job, especially in a small company.

Of course, if you're arrogant and greedy, you could make the company
think twice about hiring you. However, most of us don't have that
problem. It's all most of us can do to negotiate at all.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"You bought all the props for a world that never was,
Now there's holes in the mirror, and less and less applause,
We are all ungrateful bastards, like a dog that bit your hand,
All these years and you still don't understand."
- OysterBand, "Too Late Now"

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com