RE: 2 style questions -- colons before tables, and "radio buttons"

Subject: RE: 2 style questions -- colons before tables, and "radio buttons"
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 10:10:10 -0700

Hi!

The style I've established at TuVox does not use the word button. When I
want the user to select a particular option in a set of radio buttons, I
say "click <the option>". As a note, the Microsoft Manual of Style for
Technical Publications 3rd edition prefers a reference to the option
itself (as I do) or a reference to "the option <option>". They
discourage the use of "option button" except when you refer to the
control itself, and say that "option button" is always preferable to
"radio button".

I prefer figures and tables with captions, and I put the caption at the
top of the table. I also add a table of figures and table of tables to
my front matter if I have roughly five or more figures or tables. I know
this is obsessive, but I've had to work from a hardware user manual that
did *not* follow this style. You can not *imagine* how frustrating that
is! For the same reason, I number figures and tables by chapter, and I
put a cross-reference in the text, even if the table immediately follows
the text, as in:

The settings are listed in Table 3-2 "List of Settings":

TABLE 3-2 List of Settings

IMHO. YMMV.

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.