RE: The Bible in Tech Comm

Subject: RE: The Bible in Tech Comm
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 11:14:04 -0700

I agree. Moreover, Tanach (aka Hebrew Bible) has a large amount of
fairly technical instruction in it. Much of Exodus and Leviticus is
taken up with setting up the central "shrine". I had to read those
passages about 6 times to figure out what they were saying! Some
enthusiastic rabbis got together and built a scale model directly from
the instructions, then wrote a book about it complete with photographs.
I admire them.

I think one of the problems with technical communication is context;
that holds for *all* communication. Even within a particular era, we
have to know the terminology and context in order to understand the
communication. Imagine knowing nothing about MRI and then having to
learn how to use an MRI machine!

Of course, this gets much worse *across* eras.

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.