Re: Asking The Billing Rate?

Subject: Re: Asking The Billing Rate?
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 09:56:11 -0400

Dan Goldstein wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason A. Czekalski
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2005 8:32 AM
To: TECHWR-L

... I willingly took the job at $35/hour, because that was what was pitched to me. And that's what I gave the customer, $35/hour performance, no more, no less. I don't play superstar on contract jobs, and I don't believe in providing what is not being paid for...

As an FTE now and a contractor in the past, I've always given the best
that I've got, regardless of what I'm paid. People notice it, and it's
good for future business.

Dan is right. If you accepted the position, it doesn't matter what the pay, you agreed to do the job as described. If you couldn't, then ethically you should not have accepted the position. If the job was beyond your capabilities, and the employer was willing to help you grow, then you just muffed up a wonderful opportunity. It doesn't matter what the employment agency was getting, it was what you accepted to do the work. If I had hired you and you told me that you would only give me $35 an hour worth of effort, I'd be looking for someone else to replace you before lunch was over.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com