Re: Writing Samples and Confidential/Internal Use Publications

Subject: Re: Writing Samples and Confidential/Internal Use Publications
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 14:24:53 -0400

I don't send samples to a potential employer. If it seems indicated, I can point them to a website where I have enough various pieces of writing related to my own content that they can get a sense of my ability. For specific examples, I would expect them to bring me in for an interview where I could show them my portfolio.

It's always a good idea as one goes along, to ask a current employer about any documents you could use as a portfolio item. Installation instructions are a likely candidate for this. At that point you can strip out any proprietary information and run it by the powers that be for approval to include in your writing samples.

In a situation where you've been downsized, you probably don't have access to all of your written work any more, and of course wouldn't have any of them at home. If your employer will not act as a reference for you regarding your writing ability (some will only confirm employment, not speak to your capabilities), then create some documentation on your own about a technology or subject area that shows your strengths. Think of the time it takes to do this as an investment in your career.
--Beth

Karen wrote:

Most of the writing I have done in the past is
internal documents for a large IT company. 99%
indicates confidential, proprietary, and/or internal
use only--whether it really needed it or not.

Seven years, one company, straight out of graduate
school and then downsizing occurred.

How do you handle sending writing samples to potential
employers?

I have edited the documents to take out references to
fictitious company names (lots of Widget USA in there
now.) Then, I take the most benign documentation that
I think everyone in the world would know so that
nothing could be considered proprietary. After that, I
take a 10-15 page sample that includes prose,
drawings, tables, flowcharts, etc., and create a PDF
to send for a sample.

How do you get around the
confidential/proprietary/internal use issue?

Karen
Colorado

Beth Agnew
Professor, Technical Communication
Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology
Toronto, ON 416.491.5050 x3133
http://www.tinyurl.com/83u5u

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com