Re: Writing Samples and Confidential/Internal Use Publications

Subject: Re: Writing Samples and Confidential/Internal Use Publications
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 23:36:08 -0400

Surely we can do worse than that... For more than ten years I've
rarely had any right or opportunity to take material off premises.
Most of my best work for which I have anything to show comes from
15 years ago, and as far as I can tell, many managers and most HR
types are not interested in looking at dense material that tries
to explain esoteric and confusing terminology that had made its
way from source code into an API. "Yes, it's called a database,
and API calls have names like openDatabase() and closeDatabase(),
but no, it's not a database and here's why." Ugh. Unimportant to
a droid who needs to check whether I really have more than three
years' experience with some particular version of MS Word. As
if it mattered.

Perhaps it's time I took up documenting some of the Open Source
projects in my copious free temporal resource.

Mike Bradley wrote:

In a situation where you've been downsized, you probably don't have
access to all of your written work any more, and, of course,
wouldn't have any of them at home.

Another lesson in life, I guess. It's always wise to be prepared for
unemployment by keeping your resume and writing samples current.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com