Re: A PDA in every pocket?

Subject: Re: A PDA in every pocket?
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:11:43 -0400

My wife has the PDA and we both have cell phones. I use Outlook on the desktop system to keep track of my schedule (deadlines, meetings, etc.) and either the laptop or an old Day-Timer when I travel, but I never could get the hang of using a PDA. Since I would take neither of them into an interview, or meeting, it doesn't matter if I carry around a larger paper-based system. As for my wife, her PDA can usually be found sitting on the cradle on her desk. We take it when we go to visit the grand kids or on vacation so we have access to any telephone numbers we might need. We also use it sometimes to track travel expenses, but our travel journal is usually used for that among other things. With the trend to incorporate virtually everything a PDA does into today's cell phones, there doesn't seem to be a pressing need to jump on the PDA bandwagon.

As for cell phones, they are good in emergencies, but even then there are extenuating circumstances. For some reason, I seem to end up living in areas where cell phone service is marginalized due to lack of population, mountains, etc. Alaska had great service in the population areas, but those were separated by hundreds of miles of trees, mountains and wondering moose. If you had an accident out there, you had better be self reliant. Oregon was the same with the mountains, and New Mexico....well, between the vast tracks of desert and the mountains, you could have cell phone service in the middle of nowhere and nothing in downtown Albuquerque. In Vermont, were we now live, those darn Green Mountains can cause cell phone hell. Sometimes, instead of calling someone, we're forced to look at the natural beauty of the fall colors. It sucks, but we'll live through it somehow. We might change our cell phones into one's that have built in cameras, so we can send pictures of Vermont back to our friends in New Mexico. They need to be reminded of what clear running water and trees look like occasionally.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com