Converting to AuthorIT

Subject: Converting to AuthorIT
From: "Sarah Davies" <Sarah -dot- Davies -at- macrovision -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:19:44 +0100

I'm currently the sole writer here for four products, using various
combinations of MS Word to create PDF user guides, RoboHELP X5 to
produce CHM online help, and also Notepad to produce one single Web page
of help (the latter for one small application which is localized into 24
languages). I have a lot of duplication of content (and therefore
effort) in the Word and RoboHELP files, and my single Web page of help
has now grown so unwieldy that it really needs to be a single CHM file
instead - in a lot of languages that RoboHELP won't support, and I
really don't want to be going back to the translation agency every time
I need to compile my Help files.

It's budget season, which means it's time to lobby the Powers That Be
for a change of software, and so far it looks like AuthorIT meets my
main requirements.

While it seems that AuthorIT will be a timesaver in the long run, I'm a
little concerned about the amount of time it's going to take to get me
up and running with the product. There aren't enough hours in the day as
it is, and I would be importing several hundred pages of Word and HTML
documents, plus screenshots. Does anyone have experience with such a
conversion project, and can you give me any idea of the time it would
take, likely glitches, pitfalls to watch out for, etc?

Thanks in advance,
Sarah

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com