a verb is born

Subject: a verb is born
From: "Sarah Stegall" <siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 11:44:14 -0700

In a discussion with some engineers/users today regarding our need to absorb
disparate technical reports into our main user guide, I suggested that we
"Borg" them. They met this terminology with delight. My meaning was
immediately understood, despite the fact that only two people in the room
were native speakers of English. No explanation was required. I am adopting
the verb 'to Borg' into my working vocabulary, meaning 'to revise and
assimilate disparate documents into one centrally organized structure', as
in "The technical writer will Borg the set-up manual, I/O port installation
paper, and the troubleshooting guide into the final user guide."

Sarah
Channelling Gene Roddenberry today

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com