Visual SourceSafe for Documentation Source Control

Subject: Visual SourceSafe for Documentation Source Control
From: "Elizabeth O'Shea" <elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:23:59 +0100

We do use VSS for documentation control. We are inching our way to single
sourcing, but it will be a good while before we get there. In the meanwhile,
VSS is far better than nothing.

I actually use it to make sure people have the current version of our
documentation. Anything that isn't html is in pdf format. In practice that's
most things. I leave the latest pdf on the network, check in the Word doc,
and remove the Word doc from the network. Everyone gets their docs from the
network, so they only take the current pdf version. There isn't much
awareness that we use VSS for documentation (and marketing), and very few
people in the company have access rights to the docs VSS database. So it's
fairly effective.

For html docs, I leave zip files of the current and legacy docs on the
network, check in the html, and remove the html from the network.

It's not elegant, but for a small growing company, it works quite well. And
VSS itself is _anything_ but elegant.

elizabeth oshea
elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com