Re: Editorial/Press Release - What are some points to consider while writing?

Subject: Re: Editorial/Press Release - What are some points to consider while writing?
From: Anthony Davey <ant -at- ant-davey -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 17:43:13 +0000

Hi Jennifer,

I have to support what Geoff has said. The first question to answer is why the reader should want to carry on reading.

Then, you may know all about the features of the application, but what are the benefits, of your app, and of your app over others (but don't mention any names).

The job of a press release is to whet the appetite and arouse interest. If, the next time someone mentions your app, the reader remembers it with a warm fuzzy feeling, or better still picks up the phone and calls a salesman to ask more, or fills in a response coupon, then you have done all you can achieve.

I recently saw a product upgrade press release produced by a novice, which ran to over twenty pages, including screen shots.

In this instance 'know your audience' refers as much to the editors as it does their readers. What do your target magazines look like inside? Pages and pages of small photographs and two short paragraphs, or a decent half column of well laid out copy for each news item? If your target mags only print one hundred words per item don't write a 300 word release. If they print 300, give them all they need. If the target group includes all sorts, remeber, the lazy - or should I say overworked - editor cuts when he runs out of allocated space; he doesn't edit it for the most interesting bits.

And, as this is your first (and possibly the company's first?) don't expect to get published immediately. There is a reason that PR's a full time job for some. If you have time (and it's your responsibility) call the editors before sending it, or before writing it if you can, and ask them what angle they would be most interested in. You may even find that one of them is running a special feature on exactly your type of app in a couple of months (or worse still, you've just missed it!). It could get you more space to expand on the features and benefits of your application.

And, to finish off with my pet hate, <b> the most interesting thing about your news is not the date and place whence it was issued</b>.

HTH,
Ant

Jennifer C. Bennett wrote:

Hello,

I will be writing an editorial/press release for a software application. I have not written one before, and I am interested in finding out what points need to be considered before and while writing.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com