Re: David Pogue's column - New York Time

Subject: Re: David Pogue's column - New York Time
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 10:52:42 -0500

melmis36 -at- hotmail -dot- com wrote:

I feel that as long as somebody can write in concise, correct English
where and when they learned to speak it does not really matter.

I think that David Pogue was essentially saying the same thing. Unfortunately, he wasn't as clear. The point is, there are entirely too many "technical writers," or individuals who profess to be writers, who can't connect two coherent thoughts together regardless of what language they use, and yet, there are companies that will hire these people because they're cheap. (You can't blame it on HR, or the hiring manager. Most often, the blame can be placed directly on those trying to please the shareholders , who's concern is ROI and not the quality of the documentation.) I guess you get what you pay for. Unfortunately, the product's consumers are the ones who have to suffer.

On another note, I am working on a project with a Marine who insists my
job is EASY! He can't understand why I get paid what I get paid... blah
blah blah.
Everyone, at sometime in their career, has run into a person like that....always trying to make himself (or herself) appear more important and capable than they really way by bringing down the people around them. First, you don't work for this bozo. Second, you don't waste your time trying to explain why you get paid what you do...it's none of his business. Talks cheap...if he could do what you are doing, he would understand that you are probably underpaid. Ironically, when people like this attempt to do what we do, instead of a professional end product, the end result is more often an endless stream of excuses. My advise is to ignore him like you would ignore a bore at a party.
--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com