Re: Contract-Style Capitalization

Subject: Re: Contract-Style Capitalization
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 20:58:10 -0500

Dick Margulis wrote:
> But he was the first to admit that all that eighteenth-century
> capitalization-by-precedent was completely unnecessary.

I don't think it's unnecessary at all. Documents of this sort
establish in preamble that "Contractor", "Owner", "Lessee", "the
Government", "Nubile Consort", etc. are tokens for specific parties,
which means that later phrases like ...

"... without regard to other nubile consorts the Government
may engage ..."

... clearly don't refer to the previously named Nubile Consort who's
party to this party, herself, with liberty and nubility to all.

Seriously, it's a tokenizing device that's perfectly valid and
useful, and editors might content themselves with owning the Entire
Language in a way that specialized writers and audiences ignore.

LQ

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archiver%40techwr-l.com