Re: Branded communication design

Subject: Re: Branded communication design
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: Rob Tovey <robtovey -at- hotmail -dot- co -dot- uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 12:54:53 -0500

Rob Tovey wrote:

How should branding be addressed in communication design? Does an instruction manual printed in black and white, on cheap paper undermine the brand? Advice please

Rob,

Reading between the lines, it looks like you have a disagreement with a manager and want ammunition to use in arguing for higher production values. Here's my advice: This is probably a discussion that the manager should have with the head of marketing in your company. What I'd suggest is that you--politely, using neutral language, as a question rather than an accusation--raise with the marketing person. Let the two managers hash it out based on their relative levels of political power in the corporate hierarchy and you just stay out of the way until the dust settles. Then do what you're told. It may be that there's some money in the marketing budget to spiff up the manual. Or maybe there isn't. Unless you're a blood relative of the CEO, though, I wouldn't make a federal case out of this.

Dick

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archiver%40techwr-l.com