A prescriptive language?

Subject: A prescriptive language?
From: "Rob Tovey" <robtovey -at- hotmail -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- TECHWR-L -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 16:30:58 +0000

Does communication design use a restricted language? In terms of semiotics, does this type of design use a very particular paradigm that can be prescriptive?

Is there a Modernist mindset that's defined by an idea of the "best" way to communicate?

Should communication design forget a universal, global approach and instead target niche groups, using niche language?

If you look at certain leading KD furniture manufacturers, although their consumers are different, the instructions are of an identical format.

I realise this reads like a manifesto but I really would like to know what people think. I hope this presents the opportunity to have an open debate on the subject.

Thanks

MSN Messenger 7.5 is now out. Download it for FREE here. http://messenger.msn.co.uk

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-
or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archiver%40techwr-l.com