Re: conference dates clashing w/ special religious days?

Subject: Re: conference dates clashing w/ special religious days?
From: Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Milan Davidovic <shl_ctf -at- yahoo -dot- ca>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:39:00 -0500

On 11/20/05, Milan Davidovic <shl_ctf -at- yahoo -dot- ca> wrote:
> Let's say a three-day tech comm conference (sometime
> Monday to Friday) is to be planned for sometime Jan -
> June 06. You'd like to know what days on various
> religious calendars might prevent potential attendees
> from coming...

http://www.interfaithcalendar.org/ is a consolidated calendar of
religious holidays for most major world religions.

As to which days should be off-limits, that would depend entirely on
the part of the world you live in, whether there are a significant
number of religiously observant people in your target market (and
which religions they follow and just how observant they are) and many
other factors.

I live in New York City; the religious holidays I have to worry about
when I plan a meeting or conference are probably different than the
holidays that one might worry about in Mumbai or Moscow or Stuttgart.

Some of these are no-brainers. In the springtime, if you've got
practicing Christians or Jews in your target market, definitely avoid
Easter and Passover.

But here's some applied regional knowledge - if you're in New York
City, for example, don't schedule anything for St. Patrick's Day
anywhere in or around Midtown. The parade is a total zoo.

- bc

--
Barry Campbell <barry -at- campbell-online -dot- com>
AOL IM: bcampbellnyc