David Pogue's column - New York Times

Subject: David Pogue's column - New York Times
From: Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 13:55:41 -0500

David Pogue has an interesting "open letter" to electronics
manufacturers in the November 2, 2005 edition of the New York Times:
"10 Ways to Please Us, the Customers."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/02/technology/techspecial1/02pogue.html?ei=5090&en=5975c4bf4cb76c26&ex=1288587600&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

His second "commandment' bugs me a little. See if you can spot why:

II. Thou shalt hire native English speakers to translate thine
instruction manual. "When the camera focus is not so possible, hold
the shutter button vaguely until the beeping tone is heard." Is that
really how your company wants to address customers?

Talk about New Math. You'll spend millions of dollars developing some
breakthrough gizmo, but won't spring for somebody to rewrite your
manual in proper English? I know some high schoolers who'd do the job
for $50 and 10 free ring tones.
<<<<<

Oh, yeah. That's who you want writing your product manuals.

- bc

--
Barry Campbell <barry -at- campbell-online -dot- com>
AOL IM: bcampbellnyc

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com