Career path in the third and fourth decades?

Subject: Career path in the third and fourth decades?
From: "Damien Braniff" <Damien -dot- Braniff -at- asg -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:59:22 -0000

I'm with Geoff on this one - it's a matter of balancing
needs/expectations. You need to determine what's important to you and
work from that. While management is an option for progressing it's not
feasible for all else we'd have managers everywhere and no workers :-)

It's partly down to who you work for. One company I worked for made an
engineer a manager so they could pay him more - he left within 6 months
and he was no longer 'engineering' and that's what he enjoyed. A friend
worked at another company where engineering ran parallel to management
so a senior engineer was on a par ($ and clout) with a senior manager.
Worked well - very small staff turnover.

Variety helps (be in with one company, moving regularly or freelancing)
and also tends to ensure you stay current with technologies etc.

As to where to go, in addition to the options Geoff suggested there's
education/training, QA and usability to consider.

Damien

Damien Braniff | Technical Writer
damienb -at- asg -dot- com

Technical Communications