Re: Help & Manual questions.

Subject: Re: Help & Manual questions.
From: Edwin Skau <eddy -dot- skau -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 16:10:41 +0530

> I think you should seriously consider DocBook
> XML. I don't use it myself but hear good things about it. Using DocBook
> you can output PDF, HTML files, HTML Help, RTF etc.

Unless much has changed since I last looked, DocBook is a Document
Type Definition (SGML and XML ), not a tool. As such, you can use the
DocBook tag set to structure your content in SGML or XML, but
converting it into PDF, HTML, and other outputs would require a tool
chain that included parsers, style sheets and formatting objects.

While XML-based (more than SGML these days) systems are gaining
popularity, transition to XML systems still requires some amount of
study, and a pilot before migrating to the system. Given the kind of
single sourcing we're talking about here, that may not be required.
XML systems are more useful in more information repurposing projects
with a highly granular defiition.

- edwin