Re: Visual Information books by Edward Tufte

Subject: Re: Visual Information books by Edward Tufte
From: Ed Wurster <glassnet -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Tracy Taylor <ipsque -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 07:04:41 -0500

Tracy Taylor:
> Has anyone used any of Edward Tufte's books to help
> design visual information for documentation?
> Specifically, Visual Explanations?

> Or Thinking Visually by Malcolm Craig? Or any
> resource that helps you figure out what types of
> information are best in a diagram, and what
> information is best presented in which type of visual?

It is 7AM on the last day of the year. I am on my second cup.

Someone close once told me "I don't read books, because I don't like
my own thoughts to be influenced by others."

I agree with that /*sometimes*/. However, I subject my my own work to
too much internal criticism, especially where format and design is
considered.

This brings me to an observation. As tech writers we should look more
at the content, and worry about presentation later.

To address your need, why not give the list an example. I'm sure you
will get suggestions that will help you with visual presentations.

Finally, are you close to a library? You may find these or similar
titles. If not, you can ask them to order the books.

Good luck with your search, and have a great 2006!

--
Ed Wurster (Voorhees, NJ)
Tech Tips Blog