Re: Looking for a good book on "corporate culture"

Subject: Re: Looking for a good book on "corporate culture"
From: Edwin Skau <eddy -dot- skau -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 12:19:03 +0530

1.
Gods of Management: The Changing Work of Organizations
Charles Handy
Interesting study of corporate management styles and employee culture.
Great insights into who matters in each type of culture. Easy to
recognize these models and identify personality types from your
personal work experience.

2.
First, Break All the Rules: What the World's Greatest Managers Do Differently
by Marcus Buckingham, Curt Coffman
Distilled from a Gallup survey of excellent managers, this book offers
insights into performance, productivity and employee APIs (for want of
a better word).

3. Working with Emotional Intelligence
by Daniel Goleman
Nuff said.

4.
The 48 Laws of Power
by Robert Greene
Excellent treatise on (mostly machiavellian) power equations and strategies.

5
Body Politics
by Nancy M Henley
I'm not sure if you can still get this in the market, but I read this
around when the 1 minute manager was first published. Read soon after
"How to Read a Person Like a Book", Body Politics provided some
interesting anecdotal examples of political dialects in body language.

6.
Polar Bear Pirates and their quest to reach Fat City
Adrian Webster
Anecdotal, I found the sterotypes a little muddled. A good book to
read if you're writing about your chosen subject, if only to catch a
glimpse of what to avoid. This book seemed to try to piggyback on the
success of the "Cheese" book. Incidentally, I began working on
a book I wanted to call "Who Cheesed My Move" (yes, for the same
reasons), but scrapped the project when I came across "I moved your
Cheese", How to Have Your Cheese and Eat It Too", and "Who Took My
Cheese".

Incidentally here's a review of the "Cheese" book that made a lot of
sense to me. http://www.technobility.com/pdfs/mct0305.pdf You could
use this perspective to make a point in your book.

Hope this helps.

Wish you great success with your book.

-edwin