RE: Resources on estimating documentation projects

Subject: RE: Resources on estimating documentation projects
From: "Johnson, Tom" <TJohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com>
To: "Tony Markos" <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "Sharon Burton" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 13:31:01 -0500

Tony,

Yes, estimating requires analysis. Is that the word you're hoping someone will use?

You have to look at the thing you're documenting and find out what it is that you have to describe, teach, or convey to the reader/learner. You have to ask your SME what they want covered, to what depth, and how much do they think they want to pay (or come up with that figure on your own).

There are different ways to compile your estimate. I've even heard some people have used DFD's to get a handle on the project.

You might also find out the scope is closely related to the estimate.

Tom Johnson
Technical Writer
tjohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com