Scoping vs Estimating

Subject: Scoping vs Estimating
From: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "Johnson, Tom" <TJohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com>, Sharon Burton <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:17:09 -0800 (PST)

Tom Johnson:

You might findout the scope is closely related to the
estimate.

Tony Markos:

Scope is a major input to estimating; however, scoping
out a documentation project (i.e., determining the
extent of the project) is a different activity than is
time estimating a doc project.

In scoping, the emphasis is on discovering the
interfaces between the "system" and the "outside
world" (rigor in IDing interfaces provides for rigor
in defining the system boundary). Not so during
estimating.

Estimating is largely about properly chunking the
system down into right-size and equal-size pieces;
this is not nearly so with scoping.

Granted, I am sure that many lump both processes
together and call the whole thing estimating, but that
does not change the fact that they are two distinct
entities. Requirements engineers have seperate tools
for each.

Tom Johnson:

Yes, estimating requires analysis. Is that the word
you're hoping someone will use?

Tony Markos:

Not sure what you mean her Tom, unless you are
referring to my distinguishing saying (below), which I
often put after my closing salutation.

Tony Markos

"It is only by dying (i.e., following the flow of
data) that we are born again (i.e., come to understand
the underlying logic of a system)." - AJ Markos

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com