Documentation Review process - client feedback?

Subject: Documentation Review process - client feedback?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Peggy Lucero <plucero -at- atsva -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 11:17:31 -0500

Peggy Lucero wondered: <<I am about to hand our client documents for their review/feedback. Client is the Govt. I want to email the documents with a cover transmittal letter. Besides stating the obvious, I'm not sure I know what all I should cover in this transmittal letter. >>

There's no such thing as "obvious". Keep the cover letter as short and sweet as possible, and explicitly focus on the things you want the client to do--and don't want them to do. If it's a technical review, remind them of this and state explicitly that the goal is to get the facts right, not the details of the wording. Remind them that the wording will receive a final polish only once the technical review is correct. Better still, polish it before you send it out so that they have no excuse to worry about the wording.

www.geoff-hart.com