Re: Do Burned CDs Have a Short Life Span?

Subject: Re: Do Burned CDs Have a Short Life Span?
From: "Rick Stone" <rstone75 -at- kc -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:05:12 -0600

Jon Konrath wrote:

Even if writable CDs or DVDs lasted a thousand years, I think the big
problem is that in ten years, you might have trouble finding hardware to
read them. I have a whole stack of 5.25" floppies in my office and
absolutely no way of reading them, and that was only about 15 years ago.
After a few rounds of Blu-Ray/HD-DVD/whatever upgrades, you might end up
with a stack of DVD backups and no computer that can read them.

And we refer to this as "progress"? ;)

Seriously, it's my opinion that if we were truly advancing, whatever we devised would no longer render the former technology of the day obsolete. Instead, the newer format or version would be inclusive of the former medium.

Yeah, I know it's a pipe dream...

Happy Thursday all... Rick :)