RE: Do Burned CDs Have a Short Life Span?

Subject: RE: Do Burned CDs Have a Short Life Span?
From: "Kevin Cole" <kccole -at- fuse -dot- net>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 02:40:51 -0500

Al,

This is from the most recent Langa List:

In a recent article at "PCWorld.com", Kurt Gerecke, a physicist
and storage expert at IBM Deutschland, stated that the best
storage media for long-term was magnetic tape, with a life span
of 30 to 100 years. He also mentioned that CD and DVD storage
was usually good for only a couple of years, 5 at the best.
Hard drives, he stated, have limitations based on the quality of
their disk bearing.

Also see the more detailed discussion here:

http://langa.com/newsletters/2004/2004-05-20.htm#5

--KC

Kevin Cole
Cole Consulting