Re: Hourly vs. Salaried

Subject: Re: Hourly vs. Salaried
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "Parcell, Michelle" <Michelle_Parcell -at- G1 -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 19:56:11 -0600

At 11:55 AM -0500 1/17/06, Parcell, Michelle wrote:

All,

My company was recently acquired and we're going through the growing pains of assimilating to their HR systems, among other things. My manager was recently told by the new powers that be that we writers should be hourly rather than salaried, which was a huge surprise to us (since we've always been salaried). My manager thinks there may be legal reasons for this and that the government may have defined what we do as being an hourly-type job (to ensure we are paid OT). I was wondering if there were many of you who were hourly or if anyone has had to "defend" being a salaried employee.

I did search the archives in multiple ways for this topic but always came up with a blank page, so forgive me if this is a repeated question.

Thanks!

Michelle Parcell

It is more common now that writeres are aviewed as hourly. I personally do not like this arrangement. Since most companies won't authorize overtime, it restricts your perfrormance. As well, I like being able to tailor my hours in a week to fit with my life and the other responsibilities that I have, like picking up my son from school, parent/teacher conferences, etc. As a salaried employee it was much easier for me to do that and still accomplish my job, and not short the company on the value and work hours i put into the job.

On the other hand. If they want to count hours, fine. They get 8 hours. Then I go home. If the job isn't done, tough. They made the decision that what they wanted was an hourly employee.

Working as a contractor, is the same. You want me to work longer, fine, pay me.

Scott Turner