RE: Specifics on the too-good-to-be-true job PLUS question

Subject: RE: Specifics on the too-good-to-be-true job PLUS question
From: "Joe Malin" <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com>
To: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:28:53 -0800

I always take job blurbs with a very large grain of salt (think cinder
blocks...)

Sounds like they are using some form of "extreme" development with rapid
cycles, or they *want* to do this.

Are you sure this is software development documentation? It sounds like
they're using a rapid development cycle for the software itself, but I'm
not sure who the end users are. I also wonder about having a tech writer
do the architecture/design docs. I personally think it's much better to
have engineers write them and have tech writers edit them.

Having said all this, I note that I prefer SW dev documentation to
end-user documentation. I'm a SW engineer by training, so I have a great
feel for what developers and enterprise customers need. If you go into
this area, and you don't have a SW dev background, you will face a steep
learning curve.

Still, you may want to accept the challenge. You may bring in something
that they need. I tend not to worry about whether or not *I* can do the
job. I focus on convincing *them* that I *can*. It's certain that if you
go into it worrying if you can do it, they'll notice.

Joe

Joe Malin
Technical Writer
(408)625-1623
jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com
www.tuvox.com
The views expressed in this document are those of the sender, and do not
necessarily reflect those of TuVox, Inc.