RE: Specifics on the too-good-to-be-true job PLUS question

Subject: RE: Specifics on the too-good-to-be-true job PLUS question
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 18:15:54 -0500

Thanks for all your very helpful messages -- each and every one of you. It
took me a long time to figure out what to say to him, but I ended up writing
the message below my signature.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com

Chris,

A few things:

- Of greatest importance is the fact that I have no experience with software
development documentation, and I am told by others I trust that while I
could probably pick it up as I go, the learning curve will indeed be quite
steep. (From the initial description, I thought the app was built and needed
end-user documentation.) I have read only a few summaries of RUP and know
nothing more about it. I've seen some sample docs online, but could not
create one from scratch. Think "no experience" with this and you've got the
idea, unfortunately. (If this is a deal-killer right here, then you need not
read the rest of my bulleted list.)

- Would it be possible to see some current docs so that I can get an idea if
I'm "up to the task"? (One of the reasons I contacted you so breathlessly
was that Ramesh had written "editing" and not "technical writing.") While
I'm a good technical writer, I'm just lacking in any experience in
development documentation. However, that is not to say that I could not do
the job ultimately; it just raises a lot of questions for me -- and I'm sure
for you as well.

- If, however, the job is primarily editing what the developers produce and
learning as I go, perhaps I am just the person you want.

-----------------

In view of the above items, perhaps we should hold off on an interview until
you all can think about whether I have the skills you need (and any
prerequisite knowledge about software development documentation).

I do have about 15 chapters here for various projects that need editing, so
I think we'd better get a better handle on whether I've really got the
skills needed for this job before I come down for an interview.

For an opportunity like this, I can very likely work out scheduling details
with my other clients that would allow me to complete their work and pursue
this opportunity also, but I think an interview right now might be
premature.

Please let me know what you think. I appreciate your having thought of me
for this job, and I hope that if not now, I can be of assistance in some
other way in the future.

Meanwhile, congratulations on the rave reviews I see on amazon.com for the
book!

Best regards,

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com