Re: XML: XHTML vs. DITA/DocBook

Subject: Re: XML: XHTML vs. DITA/DocBook
From: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Sean Wheller <sean -at- inwords -dot- co -dot- za>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:43:20 -0500

Oh well, I freely admit that I may be misunderstanding the many poorly
written overviews that I've been wading through the past couple of
weeks as I attempt to learn this stuff. Every article I've read seems
to assume prior knowledge of SGML, HTML and/or XML when explaining the
concepts.

Oh what I wouldn't give for a well written, user friendly book or Web
site that explained XML for the rank beginner. (Can anyone point me
towards one?) Personally I find the W3 Web site (Google's #1 match for
XHTML) to be nigh incomprehensible if you don't already know the
technology you're researching. My Visual Quickstart Guide to XML is
poorly written. And the "introductory" course I'm taking right now
has horrible overviews that completely forget to define unfamiliar
technical terms like "element" or "entity" or even "tag."

::sigh::

Julie Stickler