Re: I Can Really Pick 'Em, Can't I?

Subject: Re: I Can Really Pick 'Em, Can't I?
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 07:33:15 -0500

Hi Cathy,

You've had a lot of good suggestions about how to handle your personal terrorist. One suggested calling your state's AG office and discuss labor laws. You can probably do this online. I know that Alaska, Oregon, New Mexico and Vermont do, so I assume that most other states also have the laws online.

From all indications, this person has a serious problem (he curses everyone including his wife) that could result in potential workplace violence when this person snaps. While on the surface he sounds like the type of manager (think Boot Camp DI) that thinks fear is a motivating factor, in reality he is out of control and it sounds like even his managers are afraid of what may happen if they confront him. The fact that the company is also in one of the least desirable parts of town makes me think that you need to get out of there as fast as you can, even if it means taking a job stocking shelves at the local grocery store. (You said you're not doing any writing anyway.)

Finally, if your state, like so many others, is an "at will" state, you take the chance of getting canned the minute you stand up for your rights. It sounds like this company allows employee abuse, or at least turns a blind eye (or is also afraid of him). Standing up for what is right may put you out on the street. Any attempt to make the company conform to the labor laws would be futile. You are not going to change the corporate culture If the company has been in business since 1947.
Remember, you don't have to love your work or your workplace, but you should never be afraid of going to work.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang