Re: I Can Really Pick 'Em, Can't I?

Subject: Re: I Can Really Pick 'Em, Can't I?
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:30:32 -0500

Erica Sullivan wrote:

Here's another suggestion, get a generic email account with a fake name. (if you haven't already) Send copies of all of his insane emails and anything else electronic to that account just so you have some kind of evidence if/when necessary. A sneaky side thought on the same line, take the next curse-ridden email he sends out, copy it to that account, and then send it to the president of the company or the highest high mucky-muck you have. Just a thought.

Although this sounds good on the surface, it's will probably result in you getting canned, your boss getting his hands slapped and nothing changing other than you get your pay from the unemployment line. A better idea is to make hard copies of every email and also forward those emails to a personal account where you access and then safely store them on your home computer. I worked at a place once where a fellow employee was a complete jerk and would put down people via email right and left. If he wasn't questioning their integrity, he was ridiculing their professional abilities. His cube was also right next to the department printer and he had decided prior to my employment that he would also be the printer monitor.

Several of us started sending his emails to the department's printer and then conveniently picking them up several hours later. He actually confronted me about printing out his emails, saying that they were personal conversations. I explained to him that I collect all correspondence for all the projects I work on and file them, personal conversations included with no exceptions. That way, I explained, if the company president (and senior engineer) wanted to know anything about a the status of a project's documentation, I would have all the information immediately available. (You never keep the boss waiting.) Funny thing....those emails stopped. The guy was still a jerk, and although he wasn't my boss, he kept his jerkosity to himself from that point on.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang