RE: I Can Really Pick 'Em, Can't I?

Subject: RE: I Can Really Pick 'Em, Can't I?
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 08:24:00 -0500

Ned asked...

> One final note, a question: My state (Washington) has "employment at
> will" --
> it means that an employer can drop me like a hot rock without giving
any
> explanation, without any advance notice. This could have a moderating
> effect
> on what I feel I can do to protect my interests in a job. Do other
states
> have at will employment? Anybody know?

As long as I have been in the workforce, Florida has had an "at will"
employment policy; if memory serves, Minnesota has an "at will"
employment policy as well (I was there '96 - '03).

Keep in mind that "at will" works both ways -- it means the employer can
terminate their relationship with you "at will" with no explanation or
notice; but it also means you have the freedom to do the same. If you
speak with someone in your state's legal office, be sure you're aware of
what, if any, impact (if applicable) "at will employment" laws would
have on someone "voluntarily" remaining in an environment like you
described.

Good luck, Cathy--I hope everything works out well for you in the end.