Re: software question

Subject: Re: software question
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: Siliconwriter <siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 20:00:53 -0600

I definitely, as a consulting writer for the past 18 years emphatically, disagree. 90% of all clients in the past 18 years don't have space for me and don't provide sw upgrades. Sure, I've had a couple clients that have given me sw upgrades in the past 10 years, but mostly they want *you* to be sw savvy. Hey, it's a tax write-off. Maybe the climate is different in Sarah's neck of the woods, but I can assuredly state (esp. after writing 11 books for publishers all over the globe) that understanding packages such as Framemaker is an absolute if you want to consult. Most of my publishers also use Frame in production. I think that attests to the strength of Frame.

Additionally, as a JD grad. if you need contract help go to an attorney, don't just willy-nilly add stuff to an existing contract. Platform issues should never be part of a contract, but should have their own Exhibit in your contract. Just my judicial opinion.

Michele

---------------
Michele E. Davis, Writer
Kraut Companies
612-824-3516
612-309-6903 (cell)
www.krautgrrl.com
www.krautboy.com
and the uber geek empyre

Siliconwriter wrote:

On Feb 17, 2006, at 2:09 PM, Mary Elizabeth wrote:

Question: For a technical writer interested in starting freelance work,
would it make sense to purchase Adobe Creative Suite?

Only if you have the money to commit to the constant and expensive updates.

I am deliberately moving away from pricy, proprietary software as a freelance writer. In the first place, when I work a contract, my employer usually provides the hardware/software and that's what I use. If I am doing a contract from home on my own equipment, I get an upfront, carefully constructed contract spelling out what format the deliverable is in.