Re: acceptable use question

Subject: Re: acceptable use question
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 13:01:02 -0800

lcp gr wrote:

I am editing a document and I am confused about the acceptable use of the term "agenc(ies)". I have not seen this format used in the past. I've seen it used for singular or plural uses such as:
form(s)

In my case the sentence is:

blah blah blah... display the summary information for the agenc(ies).

I appreciate any responses. Thank you.

Our in-house style doesn't even permit "(s)" for plurals.
I'd reword this example to "display the summary information
for the agency or agencies." In many cases, we've
determined that just providing the singular is really
sufficient - most users can figure out that if you allow
more than one <noun> to be <verb>ed, the singular is
understood to encompass plural as well.

-- Janice