Re: Somebody draw me a picture, please

Subject: Re: Somebody draw me a picture, please
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: Sean Wheller <sean -at- inwords -dot- co -dot- za>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:31:52 -0500

Sean Wheller wrote:
> On Friday 03 March 2006 16:59, Dick Margulis wrote:
>> Sure they can be created manually from a shell...BY SOMEONE WHO ALREADY
>> KNOWS HOW.
>>
>> I'm sorry if I appear ungrateful, but you wouldn't write that sentence
>> in end user documentation, would you? Would you???
>
> Dick,
>
> Have you checked if the ISP has installed CPanel
>
> Usually something like http://www.yourdomain.com/cpanel
> will bring you a login
>
> From CPanel you usually have access to phpMyAdmin or another web-based
> interface.
>
> From there you can create the database and then a user which you will need to
> associate with the database as having various privileges.

The database exists (that part was easy--I'm just trying to figure out how to gain access to it so I can add the tables); I know the username and password. I just don't know which of the many kinds of users listed in the phpMyAdmin configuration file that username and password apply to.

> Assuming perl your connection strings would look like this:
>
> $dbh = DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:database_name:localhost","user_name","<PASSWORD
> HERE>");
>
> Assuming PHP
>
> $dbh=mysql_connect ("localhost", "user_name", "<PASSWORD HERE>") or die ('I
> cannot connect to the database because: ' . mysql_error());
> mysql_select_db ("database_name");
>
> Again, as per my other message, you need admin access. Usually this is
> provided via CPanel for hosting environments that usually run virtual
> servers.

I admit confusion as to whether or not I have admin access to the database. It's a shared database server, and the database name I've been assigned is unique to me. I have a login and password on it. So far, that's all I know.

Now I'm going to go looking for Fantastico, per Char's suggestion, and report back.