Re: Somebody draw me a picture, please

Subject: Re: Somebody draw me a picture, please
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: Fekete Robert <frobert -at- balabit -dot- hu>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 09:59:55 -0500

Fekete Robert wrote:

The
database user and the tables can be created manually as well from a shell.

Sure they can be created manually from a shell...BY SOMEONE WHO ALREADY KNOWS HOW.

I'm sorry if I appear ungrateful, but you wouldn't write that sentence in end user documentation, would you? Would you???

If I owned a UNIX server and were already administering it from the shell, that would be one thing. But here is a product that acknowledges in the documentation that someone might be uploading the software to a remote server owned and administered by someone else (the hosting company) and still assumes I'm fully conversant with all aspects of administering a MySQL database, when all I want to do is click something that says "install," fill in a server name, a database name, a user name, and a password, click Next, and, voilà, there's my management console Web page, ready for me to click a button and add my tables.

Fine. I'll spend the weekend studying the documentation, if paying work doesn't intervene, try to figure out exactly where I'm going astray, and report back next week. <grumble />