RE: How do I create bookmarks in PDF from Word 2000?

Subject: RE: How do I create bookmarks in PDF from Word 2000?
From: "Laurel Hickey" <lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca>
To: "'Nandini G'" <nandini111 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 16:06:59 -0800

The easiest way to create bookmarks from a Word document is to set each
heading that you wish to show as a bookmark as a heading style in Word. Use
different levels of styles as needed -- the hierarchy will show in the
bookmarks. I use custom styles to make life easier.

Then, in Word, set the PDF conversion preferences to include bookmarks based
on those heading styles ONLY and then create your PDF. You'll have either or
both of an Acrobat menu in Word or set of icons for doing this. Once in
Acrobat, set the initial view to bookmarks + page so that people can
appreciate your hard work. :-))

The real advantage of doing it this way is that you can make changes to the
Word document then produce a new PDF and still have your bookmarks.

Regardless of the version of Word or Acrobat, you'll require the full
version of Acrobat to do this or to add them in Acrobat as someone else
suggested.

-------------------------------------
Laurel Hickey
2morrow writing & document design
lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca
http://www.2morrow.bc.ca

Am I right that I absolutely have to have Adobe Distiller (6.0 up) to crest
PDF from Word 2000 with bookmarks? Am I right about the following? Or is
there an easier way? Thanks. I am at a new contract and don't have the
distiller.

A set of Bookmarks can be created for each of your .PDF files. These
bookmarks appear as an Outline in a separate window to the left of the
document in the Exchange application. I defined each of my chapter headings,
section headings, and subject headings as document locations that I wanted
to have bookmarked. I had identified these entities my marking them with
blue text in the original Word documents. To create each bookmark, select
Edit > Copy (or the icon with the dashed box around text; or CTRL C) and
highlight the text that you want bookmarked with the mouse/cursor. Then
select Edit > Bookmark > New (or CTRL B) to make a space for the bookmark in
the list. Finally, select Edit > Paste (or CTRL V) to paste the copied text
as the bookmark text. If you make a mistake, just highlight the botched
entry in the list of bookmarks and select Edit > Clear. No problem.
When you're done creating all your bookmarks for a particular .PDF file,
you can indent some of them on your list simply by clicking on the "little
page" to the left of the bookmark text and physically moving the text to the
right. This will allow you to create a hierarchy of chapters, sections, and
subjects.