Re: Recruiters without clues

Subject: Re: Recruiters without clues
From: Charlotte Archer <caarcher -at- cox -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 13:36:16 -0500

> I'm with Al, here. When I first starting using online recruiting tools,
> I received all sorts of "hits" that had little or nothing to do with my
> qualifications/interests. My perception is that such recruiters use
> automated fishing tools, playing it strictly "by the numbers" (kinda
> like spammers, huh?).

Exactly like spammers, and when I get an email from a recruiter that clearly demonstrates that they found my resume "phishing" and never even actually read my resume, I do the same thing to them that I do with other spammers - place them in my spam filter.

> The REAL recruiter didn't respond via anonymous e-mail; rather, he
> actually picked up the _phone_ (what a concept), arranged an interview
> time and-voila-I became the marcomm guy for his client for the next
> year-and-a-half.

I actually did get an initial contact recently (on a job I'm still being considered for) through e-mail, but he *followed up* with a phone call, almost immediately, the listing was obviously one well suited to my skills and talents (in fact, I'm rather uniquely qualified for it) and it's pretty much my "dream job". And while he may have used the same type of phishing tools to find my resume on monster, he had obviously evaluated it as well and hadn't blind emailed me. Finally, his follow through has been admirable (for example, while the client has taken longer than expected to put together their team, he's been consistently touching base with me to know what the status of the project was once or twice a week) and his behavior and treatment of me has been professional, and I've told him that even if this job doesn't pan out, I'd be happy to work with him again. He works for Cor-Tech (in case anyone is interested.)

Cat Archer