Re: RoboHelp or WebWorks ePublisher for Word 2000 and FrameMaker 6?

Subject: Re: RoboHelp or WebWorks ePublisher for Word 2000 and FrameMaker 6?
From: "Rick Stone" <rstone75 -at- kc -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, "Nandini G" <nandini111 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 18:39:05 -0600

"Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

RoboHelp is a dead product that the mfr just hasn't gotten around to burying yet. Even if it isn't officially discontinued, its creative team has left the building.

While it may be true that the former RoboHelp development team has created their own company and have begun creating their own product, it would be a foolish mistake for someone to think they could simply acquire Flare and begin working immediately. The interface is nothing like RoboHelp's was. The outputs are substantially different. The whole workflow is different enough that I'd be surprised if any former RoboHelp user well versed in the application could be up and running with Flare in a day or so. In other words, there is a bit of a learning curve. ;) Actually, my guess is that users that have never seen RoboHelp before will have an easier time of it. I know I still struggle with it. But then again, I fall into the category of a long time RoboHelp user. ;)

And I'm not sure I'd say RoboHelp is dead just yet. I've heard some rumblings from various sources claiming that Adobe may be planning on bringing some development back. I heard a similar fate occurred with the Captivate developers. All development has moved off shore. Yet development continues with this product. And at a surprising pace!

Just some random thoughts on a stormy Sunday evening... Rick :)