Re: Probs Opening CHM Files

Subject: Re: Probs Opening CHM Files
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- gjctech -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 07:33:37 +0000

On Tuesday, March 14, 2006, Keith Hansen wrote;

> Interesting RoboHelp problem ... see if anyone can shed any light on
> it...

> Scenario #1:
> * In RoboHelp, my co-worker generates a help project as a Microsoft HTML
> file. It appears to generate OK.

> * When she tries to open the compiled .CHM file, it won't open.

> * I can't open the .CHM she generated on my PC either.

> Scenario #2:
> * In RoboHelp, I take the same help project. I also generate the help
> project as a Microsoft HTML file. It appears to generate OK.

> * I can open the compiled .CHM file on my PC.

> * My co-worker can't open the .CHM file I generated on her PC.

> Any ideas?
---

Just one ... where do the CHM files reside? If the ones that are not
opening reside on a network (and so are accessed via \\server\share or
a mapped, network drive) while the ones that are opening are on a
local drive, I suspect the problem is security "enhancements" from
Microsoft.

Basically, Microsoft updated the HTML Help control to not open CHMs or
other HTML Help files unless they reside on a local drive.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS05-001.mspx
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892675 contain more info.

There is also an issue with cross-frame working for which MS updated
the HTML Help control to prevent content opening in another frame:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;896905 has the
information.

If these are the problem, the MS articles give Registry hacks to work
around them.

HTH,

--
Geoff