Re: Copyright puntuation

Subject: Re: Copyright puntuation
From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: Beverley Henderson <erleyedit -at- yahoo -dot- com>,<techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 14:29:27 -0400

While CMS 15 does not specifically call out the punctuation
for the notice, their sample looks like this:

© 2000 by The University of Chicago
All rights reserved.

What they say - para 4.40
---begin quote---
Under present law, as under the old, the notice consists
of three parts: (1) either the symbol © (preferred because it also suits the requirements of the Universal Copyright
Convention), or the word copyright or the abbreviation
copr.; (2) the year of first publication; and (3) the name
of the copyright owner. Many publishers also ad the
phrase "all rights reserved," and there is no harm in
doing so, but the putative advantages of it (which were
limited to Latin America) have all but vanished. The year
of first publication is not needed for greeting cards,
postcards, stationery, and certain other works not germane
to the publishing industry. Where a work is in its renewal
term of copyright, it is customary, but not required, to
include the year of renewal as well as the year of first
publication. Many publishers also include the publication years of various editions of a work if the work has been
revised. Thecnically, this is not necessary: if a revision
is substantial enough to constitute a derivative work,
only the publication year of the derivative work need be used.
-----end quote----

While I've tried to give you the information I believe to be
most germane to your question, the Chicago Manual of Style
contains almost a full 2 columns of index entries about
copyright notices, so please don't consider this answer to
be comprehensive.

HTH!
-Sue Gallagher

> From: Beverley Henderson <erleyedit -at- yahoo -dot- com>
> Help. Where I work, we have stirred up a tempest in a teapot by questioning how our current copyright notice is punctuated...

... A related question: Are the words "all rights reserved" a sentence? It seems to have no subject and no verb, yet it "looks" incorrect without a capital A and a period. Is it imperative mood? or what? If it is "not a sentence," should it eschew capitals and periods?