Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 6, Issue 18 - recipies as technical writing

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 6, Issue 18 - recipies as technical writing
From: wsfn <WSFN -at- rocketmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 05:55:35 -0700 (PDT)

OK, I have to admit to being confused.
Throughout my experience as a technical writer,
my education, my professional experiences, and as
an amateur cook, who ever said cook book writers
were NOT technical writers?

To be honest, doesn't anyone else remember being
taught in college that a recipe for beer in
Aramaic or some such is the first piece of
technical writing? Didn't on of the STC
magazines feature an article about Julia Child as
Technical Writer about a decade ago?

The audience is highly specialized, the
conventions have been in place for quite some
time, but I'm fairly certain every well received
cook book has some pretty intense technical
writing aspects. If nothing else, doesn't
anyone else know of the field of cook book
indexing which is highly specialized and sought
after? Someone mentioned how good the good ones
are and how useless the bad...

Just because a lot of us work in the IT field, it
doesn't mean we are the only "technical writers"
out there. As always, knowing your audience is
key. There will be some situations where
numbering is less important (as several have
mentioned here). Analysis, analysis, analysis.
Several thousand years of recipe writing can't be
entirely wrong... the audience buys and uses what
they like.

Faye

http://mail.yahoo.com