Re: Recipies as technical writing?

Subject: Re: Recipies as technical writing?
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: Daniel Klotz <danielklotz -at- juno -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:13:05 -0400

Daniel Klotz wrote:

For one, cookbooks make it so easy to dive right in. You don't have to read ten pages about bread to get to the part where you start measuring flour and stirring the yeast. If you don't understand what you're doing, you refer to another section in the cookbook where measuring and techniques and terms are explained.

Fannie Farmer did that in her earlier cookbooks. Pages 46 through 53
of the 1905 edition are all about the history of bread, the making
of the various kinds of flours and their nutritional values, and
yeasts and baking powders. Only on page 54 does she deign to present
some recipes.

Oh, and how to run your stove? Pages 16 through 18 instruct you how
to build a fire in your woodstove.

More modern cookbooks rely on assumed knowledge and trivial stoves.

Still, the 1905 book is a treat to read. It reveals the secret
of my grandmother's piecrust (pg 463). Perhaps I shall sometime
try to make her doughnuts (pg 82, "See rule for testing fat.")