Re: Converting Word DOCS to PDF (HELP!)

Subject: Re: Converting Word DOCS to PDF (HELP!)
From: Gérald Bourguignon <GBourguignon -at- tso3 -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:01:08 -0400

I was wondering what tool you used to create the PDF.

Here they've been using Word (2002) to generate a PDF version of a service manual to distribute on CD. Each of the 16 chapters in the manual is a separate Word document. The manual consists of about 300 pages in total. I was originally tasked with solving the cross-file link problems in the PDF output and, after determining which Acrobat tool was used, have now come back to how the files were created in Word in the first place (and why). The files were created in Word without using the Master Document feature, and I was told that each chapter is in a separate file because of performance issues experienced with bigger Word files.

The Acrobat tool used was PDFMaker for Word (Distiller 6.0.1). However, PDFMaker was subsequently removed because of problems running it on the server (all common apps here are run on a server). I currently have Win2PDF available but the help clearly states that it cannot convert links embedded in Word documents to PDF hyperlinks. Acrobat 7 Professional, along with Distiller 7, is available for use on a separate workstation, but to me at least this has become more of a Word issue. As it stands now it looks like we will replace Word with FrameMaker, after which I will convert the service manual to a FM book. I don't expect any further problems with the links in the PDF files generated from FM.

However, if anyone would like to suggest an alternative solution using Word, please feel free to do so.