Re: The Problem With Keeping It Plain And Simple?

Subject: Re: The Problem With Keeping It Plain And Simple?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 19:20:57 -0700

I got this once, from a couple of engineering managers
whose own correspondence clearly indicated they couldn't write a coherent paragraph if their lives
depended on it. It was one of the things that helped
me decide it was time to leave that company.

At my current company, during my first week there
a Marketing VP spent about a half hour explaining
to me the technical principles behind the company's flagship product. When he was done he asked if I
had any questions, and to be sure I did understand
I said, "So if I understand you correctly, it is...."
His reply was, "Yes, you've got it, and you just said
in three sentences what it took me a half hour to say.
I'm really happy you're here."

Obviously, I'm a lot happier to be here than I was there.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tony Markos" <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>

Good technical writing is so
simple and straight forward, they will wonder what
took you so long.