RE: Friday Fun: What Pet Peeve makes you puke?

Subject: RE: Friday Fun: What Pet Peeve makes you puke?
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:10:51 -0400

Actually, when you know the accepted definition of "simplistic"
(unrealistically simplified; overly simplified by ignoring complexities
or complications), it just makes the speaker/writer sound ignorant.

My opinions only; I don;t speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:29:12 +0800

When people pass up a simple word to use a longer form of the word that means something different. For example, saying 'simplistic' instead of 'simple' in a sentence such as:

"The applicant must have the ability to explain concepts in a simplistic way."

I guess this sort of thing is meant to sound clever but it just sounds pompous and ridiculous.