Re: List formats

Subject: Re: List formats
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:15:51 -0400

Sorry, no, not if you're using the common definition of ordinal
(as opposed to the fairly esoteric mathematical definition of
ordinal). An ordered list in a document should use *cardinal*
numbers (1, 2, 3, 4, etc.) rather than ordinal numbers (1st,
2nd, 3rd, 4th). Besides reducing the cognitive load on readers,
cardinal numbers do not require translation or localizations
while the ordinal forms of numbers certainly do.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:54:47 +1000

Kirk Turner wrote:

But now, I'm doubting everything about my lists. Shouldn't unordered lists
be bulleted, and ordered lists numbered? I know that there are variables in
list styles--consistency is the key--but I sure would appreciate the opinion
of some veteran writers on this matter.

Lists where the order of the items doesn't matter
should use a bullet; lists where the order is
important should use ordinal numbers.

As for the glyph used for the bullet, I'd say
use the most unobtrusive glyph possible but I
don't think there are any rules about it. I'd
try to convince the reviewer that while arrows
might be appropriate for a slide presentation,
they are likely to be distracting in printed text.

-- Janice