Re: List formats

Subject: Re: List formats
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: Kirk Turner <royj -at- alltel -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 03:00:56 -0400

Kirk Turner wrote:

We had a meeting yesterday with the content experts, and one of them made a
snide remark about the "big fat bullets" that I used for the unordered
lists. (etc.)

I think he has some other agenda. Does he in some way benefit
if the project is scuttled or if you personally fail in your
task? Like for instance is his sister-in-law a tech writer
who didn't get selected for the job because you were there first?
Is the "good-old-boy" system atill lurching about, beneath the
surface? The State of Nameless *is* famous for it.

Perhaps the guy simply didn't have time to perform the
subject-matter review he was supposed to have done, and is
bluffing his way through by nit-picking other aspects, hoping
that if the book slips, he'll have time to look better.

Maybe he just does not like *you*.

At any rate, the time for his sort of changes is either back
at the beginning of your contract, when the stylesheet might
have been discussed, or in a second contract, where someone
will be brought in to change all the bullets to arrows and
make the ordered lists use letters. To you and me that might
seem a trival piece of work, but the State of Nameless already
has hundreds of workers for whom such a task could be a full-time
job for a year or two, and I'm sure you've met some of them
already. This is an opportunity for them to hire yet another.