Re: technical dictionary

Subject: Re: technical dictionary
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: "miquiroga -at- emcomet -dot- com -dot- ar" <miquiroga -at- emcomet -dot- com -dot- ar>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 03:48:53 -0400

Yes, it is difficult to find a good technical dictionary that
is up to date. When I was doing technical translation (German
to English) I found that it was important to have several
different dictionaries on hand. Multi-lingual standards guides,
giving terminology in six or more languages, can be very helpful.
They are sometimes published by governmental or international
groups, as was the NATO book of aeronautical terms that I used.
It is now the AGARD Multilingual Aeronautical Dictionary
(MAD) of aeronautical terms in eight languages.

A Google search reveals two editions of an extensive dictionary
that you should probably have in your library:

English-Spanish, Spanish-English Electrical and Computer
Engineering Dictionary
Steven M. Kaplan, 2000
Wiley-Interscience S ISBN: 0471391255 PGS: 792

English-Spanish, Spanish-English Electrical and Computer
Engineering Dictionary
Steven M. Kaplan, 1996
Wiley-Interscience H ISBN: 0471010375 PGS: 792

Apparently the year-2000 edition is merely the paperback
of the 1996 edition, given the identical page count.
I did not find anything that can be assured of being less
than 10 years old.

miquiroga -at- emcomet -dot- com -dot- ar wrote:

Hello! My name's Maria Ines Quiroga, I'm from Mendoza, Argentina (have you ever heard of it?) and I'm an English teacher and an En/Sp translator.
I work in an electromechanical company, so reading you helps me a lot...
I was wondering if you could help me. I would like to buy a good En>Sp - Es>In dictionary ... I already have one for Engineers, but I would like to update it because it's quite old...
any suggestions? Thanks a lot...
Ines.